Subject: [Leica] Screwmount camera recommendations
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Jan 8 12:11:12 2006

At 11:41 AM 1/8/06 -0800, feli wrote:

>I have a IIIc from the first run, when the factory reopened in 1945.

>Also grab a cheap VIOOH finder, while you are at it. Using one of these
makes a huge difference.

Feli

The Leitz Wetzlar factory never closed but remained open at all times
during the Second World War, though camera production was occasionally
stopped to allow the production of items such as military optics and the
like.

A VIOOH, aka "Imarect", is probably the worst possible auxiliry viewfinder
from the dozens of options out there.  The Soviet/Post-Soviet (SPS) clone
of the Zeiss 436 viewfinder is a far better choice and is also a lot
cheaper in today's market.

I own a IIIc (my very first Leica), a IIIf RD/ST, and a IIIg, along with a
few SPS LTM cameras.  For a quiet afternoon of photography, I will grab
either a Contax II or the IIIc Leica.  These are workhorses who only
require occasional use to remain accurate, utile, and capable picture-takers.

There is one thing to note.  Leitz regraded the shutter between the IIIf BD
and RD.  There is no difference in terms of quality or usefulness but some
folks appreciate the later shutter and so be it.  And a IIIc can easily be
upgraded to IIIf BD/ST standards by the relatively inexpensive addition of
a Geiss Kontakt III and of an APDOO self-timer.  Two cheap items, and your
IIIc can do all that a IIIf BD can do.

Frankly, I am reduced to the Ted Grant mode of suggesting that the camera
which works for you is the one to have.  If you come across an inexpensive
IIIa in great condition, then that would be the camera to buy.  If you set
out looking for a given camera, though, I'd search for a IIIc and would
pick up a Kontakt and APDOO and your path to future happiness will be
certain and secure.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!