Subject: [Leica] Screwmount camera recommendations
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Sun Jan 8 12:29:29 2006

-----Original Message-----
>From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>

>The Leitz Wetzlar factory never closed but remained open at all times
>during the Second World War, though camera production was occasionally
>stopped to allow the production of items such as military optics and the
>like.

Didn't they halt production for a few weeks or months, right after the
surrender in May
and the "capture" of the factory?

According to my camera's serial number it was made in the summer of 1945,
the first
postwar batch, although I suspect it was assembled from wartime parts.

>A VIOOH, aka "Imarect", is probably the worst possible auxiliry viewfinder
>from the dozens of options out there.  The Soviet/Post-Soviet (SPS) clone
>of the Zeiss 436 viewfinder is a far better choice and is also a lot
>cheaper in today's market.

I would have to disagree with that. Unlike the VIDOM, the VIOOH shows the
image properly
oriented and framing is very accurate. It also has better eye relief, than
some of the other finders.
It is relatively compact and once the prism blocks has been cleaned, very
bright. They also happen
to be cheap and plentyful

Feli

Feli di Giorgio                 feli2@earthlink.net