Subject: [Leica] Screwmount camera recommendations
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Sun Jan 8 20:09:38 2006

To get back to the original question of this thread, I'd suggest that you
also consider a later model Nicca (also sold as the Tower).  They have lever
film advance and a back that opens for easy loading like a M Leica.  These
give you the screwmount Leica experience with these two very user friendly
improvements.  Otherwise, if you want a Leica, I'd suggest the most bang for
the buck is a post-war IIIc.  I don't really think that a screwmount is the
best camera to use for flash, and the IIIc is pretty much the same as the
IIIf save for some shutter refinements in the later IIIfs that probably
won't make any real world difference in use.  As has been pointed out, if
you absolutely must use flash with your screwmount, there is the Geiss
attachment that works pretty well.  A slightly scruffy but usable IIIc can
be had for a song, compared to the overpriced IIIg, or even the more
reasonably priced IIIf red dial.

Mark