Subject: [Leica] Canon 5D + Leica Lens Exposure Question
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Tue Jan 10 08:34:43 2006

Tina, thanks for your observation:

> Yes.  You want to expose digital as if it were slide film - so expose
> for the highlights, not shadows.  I find that I need to set the
> exposure for about two stops under when using R lenses on the 5D.

Two stops sounds about right; I'll set the exposure compensation on the
5D to -2 and try it again.

But this seems to be peculiar to using the R lenses, doesn't it?  I
don't remember having had this need to adjust the exposure compensation
when using the Canon lenses on the 5D.  I guess there must be something
in the electronic whatevers that makes the difference.

And I also don't remember having this issue when using R lenses on the
Canon 1D Mk2....although if memory serves (it's been a while) maybe most
of that shooting was in all shade or indoors, where the dynamic range in
the shot was not so extreme.

<sigh>

If Canon would just make lenses that equal my R lenses  I wouldn't have
this issue. Then on the other hand if the price of the DMR came way
down.....

;-)

I know Steve Unsworth has experience with the 5D and R lenses.  Maybe he
will chime in too.

Thanks again,

--Bob

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Canon 5D + Leica Lens Exposure Question)