Subject: [Leica] Visit Berlin,beer, currywurst etc.
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Jan 10 10:27:14 2006

Paul,
Not too sure, it was always market when we were there, maybe pure
coincidence.
BTW it's S-Bahn Station Hacke'scher Markt (Linie3,5, 7 and 9 I think)
although it's alway pretty busy it is in fact a good place for a rest
and refreshment, the H?fen is a fascinating building with courtyards,
shops and cafes which you can see across the paved market when you come
out of the station, you'll need wideangle lenses and fast film or high
ISO, it's a bit dim in some of the courtyards. It's not too far to walk
to the rebuilt Synagogue in the Oranienburgerstra?e, well worth looking
at but difficult to take pictures of, trees, wires and a quite narrow
street,needs a very wide angle and hefty perspective correction in PS.

I don't know whether it will be set up again in summer, but the
Bundespressestrand on the banks of the river Spree, five minutes from
the Reichstag, is also a good, if rather expensive, place  for a cold
beer on a hot day - the only beach cafe in Berlin. Don't eat there it's
not too good and very expensive, more like Tapas than a decent meal!
If anyone is thinking of spending some time in Berlin, which I highly
recommend, look for hotels on the eastern outskirts, they're cheaper,
more probably modernised and are still serving portions that let you
think they're making up for the meagre communist years, most are close
to S-bahn stations so it's only a matter of minutes until you're in the
centre of the city, try Hotel Wendland in Alt Mahlsdorf, we stayed there
a couple of times - excellent rooms and good solid German evening meals,
the owner has a party and catering service and knows a bit about feeding
people. The best breakfast buffet, IMO, is in the Hotel  Tiergarten in
in Alt-Moabit quite central but very quiet, nice for a walk along the
Spreebogen , the rooms are pretty average but the breakfast is astounding.
Douglas