Subject: [Leica] OT: Hasselbald XPAN II
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Jan 13 10:12:12 2006

B.D.
This is actually an interesting area of thought.  I am seeing a fairly large
number of folk with perfectly good cameras at home spend fairly hefty sums
to buy small digital P&S.  As my friends are mostly in my age cohort the
usefulness of a 2 to3" screen to enjoy group pictures of the children or
grandchildren is pretty small.  When asked about why, a frequent answer
basically comes out as everyone has one.

The analogy of glass plates is bogus as for amatuers, roll film was a
tremendous improvement over plates of any kind, and for professionals the
move to sheet film was a great convenience in weight saving and loss of
fragility.  The more appropriate commentary was the movement from large
format to medium and small format in news reporting. It took from the
thirties to possibly as late as the early 60's to move completely from 4X5
to 35mm in news gathering.  This is an area where there were clear
advantages to the smaller formats in almost every concievable way(weight,
rapidity of shots, ability to record in lower light, unobtrusiveness, lens
selection, and I could go on).

Yes, there are some strong advantages to digital, some are green, some
are feedback, some are smaller size, some are travel related for photo
binging.  But back to the issue of 24 exposure film taking too long to use,
here in Atlanta you can buy a 12 exposure roll for less than a buck.
Implications would be to shoot the party, drop off for one hour, and you
have your pictures possibly quicker than using a Picture Mate.

So, yes, I think that the 95-99 percent market penetration of digital
cameras is largely a function of herd mentality.  This thought is
specifically related to the large number of amatuer users for whom pictures
are snippets of their life, friends, places, funny expressions, embarassing
moments.  Instant feedback is one such retort, but Polaroid use is up
substantially primarily because of instant pictures at parties.

I would like to hear from some of the experts on marketing in our group.
How and or why do people get motivated to spend goodly sums of money on
essentially interchaneable items.  Sneakers come to mind, watches, brands of
yogurt, etc.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com