Subject: [Leica] re: treadmill digital
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Jan 13 22:51:13 2006

But MUST you upgrade every time there is something new? I am happily
shooting with the 1D Mark II which was introduced almost 2 years ago and
do not expect to replace it any time soon. The computer on which I do
all my Photoshopping is 3 years old, and I do not expect to replace it
either until maybe 2008 or 2009--maybe I will pop in some extra memory
at some point, but that's it. The other day I was watching a report from
the Las Vegas consumer electronics show, and several of the interviewees
made the point that the pixel count arms race is basically over, with
innovations now focused around ease of use, design and other ancillary
features. With computers I see something similar--the last version of
Photoshop actually runs faster on my machine than the one before that.

So if you want to be a slave to marketing, then sure, upgrade every
year. But it is absolutely not necessary to do so anymore.

Nathan