Subject: [Leica] Konica Minolta to quit photo market - now Kodak staying in film
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Fri Jan 20 08:06:00 2006

Bob Haight wrote:

>Seth, Kodak wants to stay in film, to be sure, but I
>doubt they can or will, if it becomes too unprofitable
>to do it. The latest announcements I have read from
>them indicate film sales are declining much faster
>than they ever could have predicted. Continuation of
>that sharp down trend may make production of film
>simply impossible for Kodak. Too bad for all of us.
>Bob Haight

Bob:

If there is a ray of sunshine in this scenario, it is that ( according
to figures released in the Canadian Photo trade publication CE-Biz,
which I received this week) photos printed  through photo-store kiosks
and  photos printed from digital sources by local 1 hour labs now amount
to some 44% of all prints made... and this segment of the market is
growing by 150% per year at the expense of home printing.

Folks are finding out that home made prints, on cheap paper, with cheap
printers do not have the "photo quality" that their makers claim, nor do
they last like true photo prints.

The downside is that more and more digi-photos are simply not being
printed, at all.

However, if the explosive growth in photo prints being made in 1-hour
labs continues, there may be enough sales of photo paper, to warrant the
continuation of at least some films, indefinitely.

Just my 2 cents worth.

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC