Subject: [Leica] re: fins and treadmills
From: imagist at imagist.cnc.net (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri Jan 20 09:26:54 2006

> From: EPL <manolito@videotron.ca>
> Subject: [Leica] Re: fins and treadmills
> But, clearly, I am part of a rapidly shrinking (and sour) minority
here.

I, for one, continue to love the "look" of Leica glass on kodak, ilford,
fuji, agfa, adox, et al, as well as the look of Leica glass on the Leica
DMR chip and the Canon chips. I didn't care for the look of Leica glass
on Panasonic chips (while I do like the look that many on this list post
from their Panasonic/Leica's on the web - I don't like the look of the
prints that my Leicasonic produced).

The box that holds the film/chip and lens matters a great deal. The
viewing and focusing on the 20D just plain sucks. I want what Doug
continually describes - the bright clear view of the R8-9, SL
experience; or the heavenly confidence of the the M rangefinder.
However, I also want the availability of exposing my image onto a chip,
as well as all the films mentioned above. It's really just that simple.
If I were a wealthy person - I'd get me DMR and be 'totally' Leica. I
can't justify the expense to SWMBO or even myself - yet. If the digital
M delivers the quality that I've seen from the DMR - then divorce papers
may come with the passport warranty.

Until then, rest assured, you're subscribed to a Leica loving, Leica
using, Leica waiting list which is actively going through a photographic
renaissance equal to other landmark photographic changes, like when
Oskar Barnack developed his first little jewel. If he were 22 years old
today - what do you suppose he'd be working on?

And isn't it wonderful that folks continue to make Dauguerrotypes,
cyanotypes, platinum prints, glass plate images, 12x20's down through
35mm negatives, hi-res digital scanning back landscapes (remember that
Leica made one of the most highly regarded cutting edge versions of
scanning camera technology), hi-res medium format backs (up to 39
megapixels now), and current full-frame chips in slr's for under 4K. WOW
- what a great time to live in photographic history!

regards, George