Subject: [Leica] Not distressed in Boston
From: vintagebill at verizon.net (bill harting)
Date: Fri Jan 20 19:05:05 2006

Hi BD.

No longer distressed -- never was, in fact. And for me also a pleasure to
cross paths.

Just about any film about H C-B is worth seeing, I think. The man was his
camera, was
his format, and he was able to place that frame around any subject within
his 50mm vision. What an eye, and how he optimized that limited instrument.

It is good to see him alive, and impish, casually reviewing stacks of iconic
images with humor. His comments were modest and his instructions simple
(raising his hand to his eye, pointing a finger and "click" with astonishing
speed). I think we got as much as we could out of essentially an interview
with a very old, but still wise and quick, man. Interesting to see his
printer working, and him reviewing prints.

I sat too close not to be bothered by the excessively apparent digital
image -- it looked as though the film should have been shown on TV, and
perhaps it was intended for that venue, but that's a secondary
consideration. Worth the trip.

(And the shoebox suggestion to me was the best hospitality gift idea --
thanks, Don)

bill h