Subject: [Leica] The "impending doom" of film now donations
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jan 21 15:32:27 2006

In a message dated 1/21/2006 4:54:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,
sethrosner@nycap.rr.com writes:

Steve, one problem is defining "real value" - for IRS purposes one  would
have to support it with an expert. Which I ain't. Bigger problem is
illustrated by my experience with the chairman of the Music Department at
Skidmore College which is literally a stone's throw from my home. He said
he
would adore to accept the collection but they haven't the space to  store
it!!! Can you imagine?
----------------------

At the Cammie G. Henry Research Center, we are not able to make valuations.
It is the responsibility of the donor to have that done. Regarding space,
that
 is a real issue for most collections.  Real Estate is not free, nor are the

utilities necessary to keep them at a reasonable temperature and humity.

Add to that, the time and people needed to process and catalog, and you
find
most places like that incur a serious  processing back-log.

One of our patrons is donating a seriously large collection of regional
photography, and she is also donating money to purchase the preservation
materials and salary to enable her collection to move forward in the
process.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com