Subject: [Leica] Microtek vs. Nikon scanners?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed Jan 25 09:53:34 2006

Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> wrote:

>>Does anyone here have experience with both the Nikon 4000/5000 and
>>Microtek 400tf? Paricularly re: film handling and density range.
>
>  The 4000t, though cheaper, in the above link is a non-starter as
>investing in SCSI peripherals at this point isn't advisable for most
>people.

I agree w.r.t. the SCSI interface, and this probably will be the first thing
that will make using my Polaroid SS4000 problematic on a future computer.
The Polaroid is a clone of the Microtek, and regarding film handling it's
more tolerant of film that isn't perfectly flat than the Nikon scanners are.
 The problem is in the scanner's depth of field; you'd see the problem at
the edges of the picture where the scan is out of focus when the center is
properly focussed.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com