Subject: [Leica] Kodachrome--Any Indication of Its Future
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jan 26 00:39:51 2006

On 1/22/06 10:29 AM, "Don Dory" <don.dory@gmail.com> typed:

> Martin,
> I say this regretfully as a dedicated film user, but use a Canon or Nikon
> DSLR.  Even at ISO's over 1600 you will get some fabulous images with
> little
> grain and very nice shadow detail more with the Canon at 3200).  If
> archival
> digital storage is not you cup of tea, you can have the digital files
> output

Wow! Kodachrome 200 pushed to 500 must look like "Sunday in the Park with
George" from two feet away and your bifocals on! (pointillism)
Not pushed at all it's amazingly grainy far more so than any e6 film rated
or pushed to 200 from all I've ever seen by a mile,  Grainer than 400 films
and films pushed to that as well! I just bought a roll of it though. I still
like the color, there's something about this film which has a resonance to
it like a classic film does. Or car. Even though it seems like yesterday
they came out with it in the first place. And instant classic. That it
seemed nobody used but me,

Would 500 be a stop and a half?
Who would run that?!! For how much and how long?
Kodak for years has not run one ad I've ever saw for Kodachrome and I don't
miss much. They are just letting it slowly die. Then they have the gall and
gumption to claim that the e6 films are going to last as long as Kodachrome
did; or does. That kind of thing really gets me. Part of the reason other
than leapfrogging Fuji's at the time latest time claim was to wean us away
from Kodachrome so they'd be off the hook when the time came do pull the
plug. Although it's been awhile. Big corporations are allowed to BS like
that, Us little guys they throw you in jail for lying in the first degree!
Premeditated.
And unrehearsed.

Not a little white one;
But.....