Subject: [Leica] The DM-R has landed!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jan 31 19:31:39 2006

Hi David,
Now son you've made that DMR thingy sound like manna from heaven! ;-) Now
the reality is... how well does it operate and produce images at
800-1600-3200?

Because if it's not worth tidily at 800-1600 or 3200 what does one pay
$5-6000 grand for? A very nicely packed shiny looking box? Or I suppose
there's a way to re-jig it through under exposure and fiddling knobs and
buttons to get some kind of image. However, if that's the case I'll save my
money and continue to use the Leicanon 20D and Leica glass even with the
extra effort of using a smaller screen and viewfinder. Not so tough when you
make your mind up to making it work, it works! Obviously not like an R8, but
it still works very well.

As far as I'm concerned if a digital camera, it doesn't matter who it's made
by, can't cut images cleanly and beautifully at least at ASA 800, then it's
useless for a photojournalist doing his work by available light.

I know how well the 20D works under what I'd call severe lack of light at
ASA 3200 and still come up with beautiful photographs that can be printed at
12X18 photo size. Like no problem at all! They are drop dead beautiful!

As most interesting as your detailed box opening and DMR unveiling was, well
done lad, yes I'm impressed with the packaging, looks and feel. However, if
the thing at near $6000. can't cut the grass at 800-1600, better it should
capture great Leica glass images at 3200, and it can't? So what's the big
deal?

Nice happy snaps of the countryside at ASA 100? Surely that can't be wroth
$5,000 or $6,000?

So I'm interested how well your DMR works under existing light conditions
where it's dawn and you have some gorgeous mountain critter focused in the
R9 viewfinder and can't get a shutter speed or aperture to put the image on
the card. WHY? Because... the camera DMR can't go to 800-1600! ?

Now that's what sorts this machine out whether it's worth what you paid for
it or not. If it can't cut great images to card even at ASA 800 please try
and make a believer out of me it's as good as what it's supposed to be.

I can always get in an OR and blaze away for a day and then we can see how
good it is under real-time shooting under "work conditions."

However, knowing the quality shooter you are I don't have any doubt you'll
capture some wonderful real life country side material and I'm not alone in
waiting for the results.

Just remember, I'm far more interested at what it does from ASA 800 and
higher because that's what sorts out the toys from the others. Leica or not,
if it can't be used successfully under available light conditions as I have
with film and most certainly with the 20D and Leica glass. Then it's a
meaningless toy to play with.
ted

Replies: Reply from telyt at telus.net (David Young) ([Leica] The DM-R has landed!)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] The DM-R has landed!)