Subject: [Leica] Seeking general macro advice
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Feb 2 01:58:05 2006

I've been looking into shooting macro. My interest is not so much shooting
bugs, but more like Weston's peppers and other nature studies - i.e., things
that don't move.

Seems to me there are alot of different ways to skin this cat, and the
options
are pretty overwhelming.

Leica M has it's new 90mm macro lens.  I also shoot Nikon manual and
DSLR, where there is a combination of macro lenses, extension tubes,
reversal rings, and bellows accessories.

MF SLR camera systems seem somewhat similar to Nikon's array of options,
with some cameras, like  the RZ67, having a built in bellows.

LF folks seem to use long bellows, although I also found mention of macro
lenses, primarily featuring superior flatness of field (not an issue for
me).

So, has anyone tried the Leica 90/4?  How would this compare to the
array of options - lens reversal, extension tubes, bellows, other SLR
dedicated macro lenses - for other camera systems in the various formats.

I'm guess I'm just trying to get a handle on the various trade offs before
I go out and invest in the wrong thing.

Thanks much.  If there are macro photographers out there, I'd love to
see some of the pictures you've achieved using different gear setups.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Seeking general macro advice)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Seeking general macro advice)
Reply from leowesson at charter.net (leo) ([Leica] Seeking general macro advice)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Seeking general macro advice)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Seeking general macro advice)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Seeking general macro advice)