Subject: [Leica] Seeking general macro advice
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Feb 3 16:55:59 2006

G'day Scott,
I wanted to weigh in on this discussion with my tuppence. I've used all
sorts of close up devices over the years including Proxar lenes on the
front of Blads and Rollei's extention rings, bellows, visoflex and
lenes, macro lenes, and now digital p/s. I've lit subjects with natural
light, flash, ring flash and dedicated medical ring flash. I've used
lenes which focus soooooo close you would swear they were macro: the 50
F series on the blad and the 15 super-elmar come to mind. There is no
one answer to your question, so here are a few comments:

Digi point and shoot: These little creatures are amazing really. Even
clumsy ones like the Digilux 1 will do a great job of recording
details. I use them for just that. Shooting X-rays, grabbing snippets
from books and articles, recording meals. Great fun, but not really
"artistic" macro.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/Digi

Leica M:
1. I've not used the 90 "macro", but its older cousin the DR summicron
does a pretty good job of extending the range of the M in the 50mm
range, and I would expect the 90 would be similar. I carry it with me
on trips, and it will pick up an image or two along the way. This is
not the best example, but gives an idea of where I've found it handy

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/DRsummicron

2. The Visoflex is not such a silly option. I used it quite a bit in
combination with the 65 elmar dedicated lens but also with the front
elements of several lenes including the 135mm. Mine came with a
beautiful set of bellows, and you can have a ball just collecting the
rings and other attachments made for this wonderful compromise.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/Viso65elmar
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/Viso65elmar2
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/Viso65elmar3

Leica R: big jump in price but when I get serious about Macro, this is
where I usually turn. My favourite lens is the f2.8 Apo Macro 100mm,
and as others have said: what a lens.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/100mmMacro
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/100mmMacro2
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/100mmMacro3

You can also get close in other ways

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/180mmf2

Nikon: If you want to do macro work there should be nothing wrong with
Nikon. Here is an interesting lens we bought for Helen's father. Its a
dedicated macro lens of about 200mm made for medical purposes: no-one
wants these things any more, and they are a "steal". I has its own
built in ring flash and works like a dream with any Nikon body

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Experiments-in-Scanning/Nikon

On 02/02/2006, at 20:57, Scott McLoughlin wrote:

> I've been looking into shooting macro. My interest is not so much
> shooting
> bugs, but more like Weston's peppers and other nature studies - i.e.,
> things
> that don't move.

Alastair