Subject: [Leica] Seeking general macro advice
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Feb 2 18:46:01 2006

Leo,
Yes, I have and use the 50 DR occasionally with the eyes.  Short answer, use
an SLR.  Long answer, if you are traveling really light and are doing
primarily reportage type photography whether vacation, family snaps, or just
carrying one camera one lens to have a camera with you, the eyes can allow
you to catch some smaller details.  The problem is that an R4/4/6/7 with any
50mm will serve you better if you anticipate shooting three feet and closer
to capture various details.  The 50 DR has its own wonderful qualities that
make the addition of the eyes useful, but not something to go very far out
of your way to accomplish.  I say this haveing used DR's since 1970.

The 90 macro presents an interesting lens debate.  It is a very capable
lens, and many portraits are more flattering when using a 90 in the F4 to
5.6 range so this lens with an M makes a light addition to the classic
35/50/90 or the more modern 28/50/90.  With the small addition of the eyes
you pick up a useful close focus capability in a fairly small package.

Again, if your primary desire is to photograph from 1/8 to 1/1 then get an
SLR.  If occasionally you want to capture closer stuff and you only have M
equipment then I would suggest the 90 as a useful lens.  If you already own
a DR then picking up the glasses is not too expensive and can be useful.
But you can pick up an SL with a 50 Summicron for about what a clean DR set
costs so if you start from scratch then go with the SLR.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com