Subject: [Leica] Tina and Digital (was, Enlarger
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Feb 6 18:14:12 2006

Marc,

A RIP handles the translation of a digital image into a form that is
required by your printer.

Most RIPs today are very sophisticated and get more performance out of
a printer than the software provided by the printer vendor.

Those of us who print black and white images on Epson printers found
that there was a greenish tint to the images made by the Epson drivers
due to the way light reflected off the black ink. Some rather
sophisticated software guys solved the problem by mixing small amounts
of other colors in order to make neutral blacks and grays.

Along with the RIP software are color profiles that tell the computer
about the colors the printer can actually make and how to mix the
colors in order to achieve them. These recipes for color printing are
different from paper to paper - just as exposure requirements between
papers changes from vendor to vendor and paper type to paper type.

RIPs also handle other details so you can make multiple sized versions
of the same image on the same paper without much work - picture
packages in other words.

Most people who print in color don't need RIP because the printer
people spend a lot of time trying to get color right. But getting
black and white to come out neutral - or with a selenium-like tone -
that's very hard. So that's why you often hear about them here.

I'm a bit astounded that you have been so baffled by this technology
shift - but I respect your difficulty. You might find it easier to
take pictures, take the memory card to Target or WalMart or your local
drug store and printing them at a kiosk which work very well. Print
only the pictures you like.

It really is easy - it's just different. Look at it as a challenge to
mental acuity. <grin>

I hope this was useful and helped you in some way.

Adam