Subject: [Leica] Tina and Digital (was, Enlarger
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Feb 6 19:48:28 2006

Marc.. not only are you not alone, but, for myself......

I was in the Computer Imaging business.  I actually understand what all
these obscene sounding words mean.  I understand the background, the
operation both programming as well as physical operations, and for that
matter, the intended result.  I even know the history and the companies that
made that history.  It does not change my mind.

I do not like chasing technology.  It makes me feel the fool to do so.  I
see it as a waste of time and money.

I buy really good ( used) wet darkroom products that were made for
professionals, used by professionals, and proven to work.  OTOH, why would a
stainless steel tray not work?  ditto the SS film clips, the print washer
made from SS, and the drying racks made from window screens.  I use really
good optics, all APO lenses that sold in their day for $750-1,000 and more,
and buy them today in like new condition for $100 and less.  I have an
enlarger that cost $3K to the original purchaser:: $400 to me.  And it does
not get replaced every year because the inks get better, the RIP gets
better, the OS gets replaced, the drivers do not work, or any other
nonsense.  It just plain works.

It is a matter of living with technology every day:  You can get your fill
of it.

YMMV, but no digital proselytizing... none.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net