Subject: [Leica] enlarger
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Tue Feb 7 11:38:30 2006

> The determining factor in my case was developing severe allergies to
> darkroom chemicals.  In spite of state-of-the-art fans and
> ventilation systems, I could not stay in a darkroom longer than 10
> minutes without developing debilitating headaches.  I wondered what I
> was doing to my liver.  I quit toxic chemicals and now only ingest
> Lagauvilin in small, measured amounts.

Er, do you know exactly what you were sensitive to? The modern wet darkroom
has no smell, no fumes and no toxic chemicals to be afraid of.  We now have
no acetic acid (no stop bath), neutral fixer (no acetic acid fumes) and
paper and film developers that have vitamine C in them.  The only chemicals
that you might be sensitive to now are sulfite (but that can be done away
with if necessary), rapid fixer (ammonium thiosulfate) or
phenidone/dimezone-S.  Did you react badly to Xtol?  Are you sensitive to
vinegar fumes?

My darkroom smells better than my kitchen now.

JB

Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] enlarger)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] enlarger)