Subject: [Leica] I have given up
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Feb 8 00:19:54 2006

Frank,

I won't dispute what you say at all. Both are true !

Probably like many others, I have my D70's little LCD screen more
or less permanently set to the "display histogram" mode :-)

I can't directly translate in my head a histogram into the visual appearance
of a photo, but I imagine I'll get there soon enough. For now, I generally
just shoot raw and try to "expose to the right" while avoiding blown
highlights.  From there, should I have the motivation and energy, alot can
be tweaked during RAW conversion.

Maybe if I were more careful, I'd use the D70's spot meter on the highlights
and adjust exposure from there, but I haven't spent the time to master
that technique yet.

But you got to hand it to film where some crappy exposures can often
be molded into nice photos in the darkroom. On this very list, I
believe, I've
read that HCB himself - patron saint of we Leica users - guestimated
exposure
often and relied on a tight relationship with a master printer.

Now, that's not me. I use a nice metered M6TTL and have 2 Sekonic
meters I'll sometimes use in incident mode "just in case" :-)

Scott

--

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] given up: now spot metering)
Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] I have given up)