Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses for Panasonic 4/3 DSLR at PMA?
From: web259p2 at donald.hostspirit.ch (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Mon Feb 13 04:21:21 2006

Feli,

Not shure if this is a mistake. I think the noise issue will be worked out
soon, newer sensors and newer softwares will make it disappear. If 4/3 can
survive, it could be the future's standard for "digital x-small format", as
Alastair pointed out, like the 24x36 format became a standard after Leica
released the Leica-I. And I dont talk about "professional" and "consumer"
formats, but about bigger and smaller formats. The 4/3 system allows
slightly smaller bodies and especially significantly smaller and faster
lenses than APS-C or even fullframe systems. That's what rangefinders
offered compared to SLR's, too. Now Olympus-E offers the range of 28mm-200mm
(35 eq.) in two zooms lenses with each f=2.0 (the 35-100 is released, the
14-35 is announced for pma). Forget this on a fullsensor or APS-C system
except if you have a personal assistant who carries your 20kg lens bag.

Another Leica digital camera with APS-C would rival the digital M and DMR
too much. That's why I think 4/3 could be the right choice for a Digilux-3
kind of camera.

We'll see...
Didier