Subject: [Leica] OT: Best Way to Remove Dust and Scratches in Photoshop?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Feb 25 23:30:54 2006

Greg,
there's a plug-in called hot pixel fix (by mediachance) that will get
rid of dust and white spots quite effectively, though you may have to
run it through a couple of times. The advantage is, it only picks up the
discrete spots an leves the rest of the image alone -I cleaned up the
pictures of my parents wedding with it, 60
year old pictures, it reduces manual de-spotting work by about 95%
It's part of a package called DCE Tools which contains some other very
clever and effective stuff too.
Scratches are more difficult, use the healing brush tool (NOT spot
healing) set to "replace", enlarge the image so you can see the single
pixels, pick a sample
parallel to the scratch (shift/click) and then move te little circle to
paint over the scratch. Wth a bit of practice this works pretty well
Douglas