Subject: [Leica] more portraits: americans and their firearms
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Feb 26 00:34:45 2006

Kyle,
It might be a good idea to shoot some of the outside stuff too, if only
to give the subjects the feeling you're not showcasing them, but get
further back. And these would be the prints THEY would probably like to
have to hang on the wall - after all it is the ingrained idea of the
protection of "property" that is an essential element of life to
them,and makes them what they are - mostly conservative, middle class
(or at least allusions thereto), homeowners,landowners and upright
pillars of the community. I'm not sure about the Pink Pistols though,and
I wouldn't want to dictate, but  I'd have to see them in context. The
core of the thing is that these are plain, real, authentic, normal,
next-door-neighbour-anywhere, mainstream people - and not some groups at
the fringes of society.
It's the disturbing normality that counts IMHO
Douglas