Subject: [Leica] Re: Batteries for older cameras
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Feb 28 11:01:10 2006

<<Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:43:04 -0800
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Digilux batteries
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
NP-80?? I think they are $10 each plus shipping....
The NP-80 is for the non-zoom model.? I checked....
I do not know what the Zoom model accepts..... best check before you buy....
Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net
> I just bought 10 NP-80 batteries for the Leica Digilux Zoom (ne Fuji
> 1700 Zoom) from: www.itrimming.com
>
> The cost was $0.68 each plus shipping. Is that cheap enough for you?

Frank,

iTrimming.com is an e-Bay store that specializes in batteries for older
electronic equipment, PDAs, cameras, etc.
I assure you that my price for NP-80 batteries was $0.68 each plus a fairly
high handling and shipping cost. The NP-80 battery was used in many Kodak
and Fuji digital ca
meras a few years back. It is about the size of a roll of Life Savers with
one side flattened. Since the form factor of digital P&S cameras changed
over the years to be as flat as a cigarette case, the NP-80 battery is too
bulky to fit and has fallen out of favor. Stock up now because I suspect
that they will be hard to find in the future.

I received mine a couple of weeks ago and they work fine in my Digilux Zoom
and Fuji 6800.

Incidentally a dying battery highlights one of the weak spots of both the
Leica and Fuji cameras. These have a motor retractable lens cover. When
turned on, the lens cover is retracted and then the lens extended. If the
battery is low, the choreography between the motors that retract the lens
cover and extend the lens gets fouled up and the camera jams causing the
microprocessor to shut everything down and declare a foul. The best way to
fix this is to remove the battery, leaving the camera switched on. Let it
sit for at least 24 hours untill all in
ternal capacitors are discharged. Then insert a fully charged battery and
hope that the microprocessor reboots and everything is in synchronism again.
You will not lose your images with this procedure but you will have to reset
the date, time, and your preferences.

Larry Z