Subject: [Leica] Jupiter 8 Russian Lens Comments
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Mar 1 18:58:52 2006

At 09:33 PM 3/1/06 -0500, Rob McClure wrote:

>I just wanted to share my experience with my latest lens acquisition --
>a Jupiter 8 50 2.8 in LTM.  I paid $62 for this baby from Fedka.com and
>I am very impressed.  The build quality is excellent; it looks and
>feels a lot like the Summicron I sold to fund other purchases.  The
>finish is  good and focusing is smooth. The glass is spotless and it
>looked new.   I miss the focusing tab, but given the price difference,
>I can live without it.  I 've only gotten one roll through it so far,
>but have been please with a couple low light shots and some of my
>favorite tree pictures.  I also bought the round metal lens hood and it
>probably will work well enough, but it is pretty bulky compared to the
>vented round hood I had on my Summicron.  This is one of the few
>Leica-related accessories I've purchased since going digital (the other
>being a Russian 50 Elmar clone), but at these prices, I can justify
>expanding my film equipment.

Rob

Your LTM Jupiter-8 almost certainly comes for the KMZ works just outside of
Moscow.  These vary a bit in quality but almost all are really capable
performers.  (The ones made by the Arsenal works for their Contax RF clone,
the Kiev II through 4AM) generally are a bit better but the differences are
minor.)

The 1.5/50 Jupiter-3 is an even better lens, especially the latest ones.
This was a lens design which it took Leitz three decades to equal and they
still haven't beaten it even with the new APO-ASPH miracle Summilux
recently introduced.

And Fedka (Yuri Bogoslavsky in real time) is a grand person and an
absolutely honest trader.  I have had many very happy dealings with him.

No, a Jupiter-8 will never replace my beloved Summitar and Summicron NF
lenses nor my trusted Summilux-M, but mine is a capable lens with which I
have taken many a happy snap.

Dump digiital, and get back where it is happening, in real chemical
photography.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!