Subject: [Leica] Aaron's PAW 9: Dancing Motion
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Mon Mar 6 17:52:08 2006

Ted,
My comments are below, interspersed with your thoughts:

>Aaron,
>My gut re-action is the dancing doesn't quite work as is. But trying it in
>colour might make a major difference and quite possibly a far more
>effective set of pictures. My experience in shooting blurs as you seem to
>be trying here I've found 1/4 of a second works pretty well.

Funny you should say that...I actually did shoot these in color...the
original, uncorrected scans are here:
http://www.sandlerphotographs.com/choreo/current2006/pages/MP_00870006adj.html
http://www.sandlerphotographs.com/choreo/current2006/pages/1a_0007_19A.html

I didn't think the color added much...I'm curious whether you agree.

>But shooting any kind of dancing motion or motion as such, is difficult
>and much by trial and error, shooting lots and lots again is paramount
>because you never know how good, bad or ugly it'll be until the film is
>souped. But you know that already. Right? ;-)

Yes, indeed, I do know that...it's even more true with these little pinhole
cameras I've been making out of matchboxes...there's some serious
variability in the production!

>The third picture? :-)
>
>Well what can be said about a fine young lad like this sitting up all
>alone! Good for him! :-) Nice to see him updated every once in awhile.

Exactly...this type of shot should not be over-interpreted!  :)

Best,
Aaron

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW 9: Dancing Motion)