Subject: [Leica] Aaron's PAW 9: Dancing Motion
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Mar 5 20:00:43 2006

Aaron Sandler showed:

 > This week I'm showing two motion blur photographs that I made on
Wednesday of a local modern dance group that I photograph from time to time.

> The two photos were taken with equipment of widely-divergent monetary
> value:
>      1) A pinhole camera made out of a matchbox with no lens.  15sec,
> tripod.
>      2) A Leica M with 35/2 summicron.  1/8 sec, hand-held.
> > I'm not saying which I prefer!
> > http://www.sandlerphotographs.com/paw/2006_09/index.html<<<
>
> PS--The third photo on the page is an unrelated happy snap...our son is
> now 6 months old and already a little more independent.  :( and :)

Aaron,
My gut re-action is the dancing doesn't quite work as is. But trying it in
colour might make a major difference and quite possibly a far more effective
set of pictures. My experience in shooting blurs as you seem to be trying
here I've found 1/4 of a second works pretty well.

But shooting any kind of dancing motion or motion as such, is difficult and
much by trial and error, shooting lots and lots again is paramount because
you never know how good, bad or ugly it'll be until the film is souped. But
you know that already. Right? ;-)

The third picture? :-)

Well what can be said about a fine young lad like this sitting up all alone!
Good for him! :-) Nice to see him updated every once in awhile.

ted

Replies: Reply from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW 9: Dancing Motion)