Subject: [Leica] Frustrating magazine
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Mar 7 22:11:44 2006

I began subscribing to Photographers Forum magazine some time ago
because I wanted to read the interviews by Ken Lassiter with people like
the late Sal diMarco, more recently Ted Grant etc. Those interviews are
definitely the highlight of every issue. I just received the Spring 2006
issue, which is as usual graced by one of Ken's long interviews, this
time with French photographer Jean-Pierre Laffont.

But as good as Ken's pieces are, the equipment articles are equally
awful. There is a "what's new" section which, because of the production
cycle of the magazine, is usually several months out of date. Worse, in
this issue there is a 2-page article on Olympus DSLRs by a Rosalind
Smith, described as a painter and writer from Newton, MA. The piece
reads like an advertorial for Olympus, except that it is so badly
written that I doubt Olympus actually reviewed it. It is basically an
ode to the E500. To give you a flavour, here are a couple of quotes:

"What's cool in the E-500 is that because of advanced features like the
RGB histogram, pros and advanced amateurs will now want to add this
camera to their 'must have' list."

"Another handy feature is that the Olympus firmware is upgradeable
online without taking the camera in for service."

"As for lenses, Olympus is known for its Zeiko optics..." (the article
consistently calls the lenses Zeiko instead of Zuiko--perhaps the author
was looking at her watch while writing it...)

I have yet to see a digital SLR without a histogram or one on which the
firmware is not upgradeable by the user.

This is simply one of the worst articles I have read in the past year,
anywhere! If Ken is reading this, here is a suggestion: focus the
magazine on photographers and photography, forget equipment. If
additional revenue is needed, raise the price of the mag or try to sell
more advertising, but please spare the reader from articles like this one.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands