Subject: [Leica] Re: New Orleans photos
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Wed Mar 29 10:14:16 2006

-----Original Message-----
>From: PHC <lists@paulhardycarter.com>

>Excellent work Feli.
>
>The surprise for me was that the devastated areas seem utterly devoid
>of life - no teams of contractors demolishing and rebuilding. Even
>bodies left to rot in destroyed houses. This seems incredible in the
>developed world.

Exactly. I was amazed by the lack of activity. Many of the areas like the
lower 9th and St Bernard
are ghost towns. Sometimes Jeff and I would wander around for hours and only
encounter
one or two people. It reminded me of pictures I've seen of Chenobyl. The
water retreated 2-3 months ago
and we were encountering entire areas with virgin mud, showing no traces of
tire tracks or foot prints.

You would think that the place would be swarming with clean up crews,
contracators, the governent etc  but it isn't. That was the big challenge in
shooting this. How do
you put a human face on a disaster like this, when there are no people to
shoot? You can only
photograph so much rubble. Obviously there were plenty of people in the
French and business quarter,
but the rest is pretty empty. The wealthier areas are seeing some
reconstruction activity, but I attribute
that to the better educated and wealther population taking the initiative in
rebuilding their homes.

>I'm looking at commongroundrelief.org right now, which is inspiring,
>but I can't get the other site "can-do.org" to work. Do I have the
>wrong address?

Hmm, not sure. I would have to dig through my notes at home and see if
can-do.org has a
different site/email address.

thanks,

feli