Subject: [Leica] Re: New Orleans photos
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Wed Mar 29 11:19:29 2006

-----Original Message-----

>And from last Sunday's Times-Picayune:
>
>http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf?/base/library-98/1143359481103860.xml?nola
>
>Tina

It's a pretty complicated situation and it depends on what part of town you
are talking about.
The 9th Ward and St Bernard Parish are in a lot worse shape than lets say
Canal Street near
the French Quarter. It also depends on the construction method of the
structure. Woodframe
homes suffered greatly, by being submerged under saltwater for weeks on end.
The cinderblock or brick
homes suffered less, but there are far fewer of these. The old shotgun
houses, which are sometimes
over a hundred years old, are particularly flimsy and I highly doubt that
they can be salvaged.

The saltwater did a lot of invisible damage to the nails and bolts holding
the actual homes together.
And the contamination by mold and filth is a serious health hazard. If a
house could be salvaged
you would have to strip a it down to its skeleton, renail it, treat the
wooden frame for mold and then
rebuild fom there. I hate to say it, but I think that some people are being
unrealistic about the chances
that their home can be rebuilt. The area was submerged under water for weeks
and while structures
may still be standing, they are severaly damaged.

Then there are the insurance companies and as the articles mentioned, the
whole thing is tied up
in lawsuits etc. The impression that I came away with was that of a giant
traffic jam in desperate need
of a cop to straighten things out.

No one knows what will happen this summer, when the hurricane season starts.
Obviously the holes
in the levees have been plugged, but that's only part of the problem. The
whole canal system and the
wetlands are a mess and need to be redesigned. Everyone is worried that if
the city is hit with a category
3 or 4 hurricane, there will be a repeat of last years events.

Feli

Feli di Giorgio                 feli2@earthlink.net
www.elanphotos.com