Subject: [Leica] digital ramblings
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Apr 1 18:00:37 2006

I never thought this day would come so soon, but I'm really sold on digital.
Can't imagine why I clung to film for so long.  Well, I know why.  Lack of a
full frame sensor for less than the price of a car.  :)

I think the biggest advantage to me is being able to set the shutter and
f-stop combination I want...within reasonable limits.  And then just dial
the ISO to make sure the exposure is decent.  Granted, I've done similar
with film.  But not without *a lot* of waste.  I'm talking about shooting 6
or 7 exposures on a roll of film, just to rewind and insert a different
speed.  Repeat.  That gets old.  Really quickly.  Haven't done it very
often.  And wouldn't do it just for casual tourist snaps, like from my
recent trip to Orlando.  Constantly went back and forth between shooting at
ISO 100 and ISO 3200.  Until night, when I was only at 3200.  :)

That, and having scratch-free color pictures.  I couldn't find a reliable
lab to process C41 film.  Tried several so-called "pro" labs.  None was even
close to 100%.  I spent less time processing about 80 pictures from my
digital camera than I did *eight* images from a couple rolls of film, which
were my last color film pictures to date.  I spent about an hour and a half
taking 80 pictures from RAW, through some color corrections, through some
cropping, and then minor curve adjustments and re-sizing for the web.  I
spent about 4 hours doing the same thing with 8 images.  That included
scanning and then meticulously getting rid of the scratches and dust the lab
had so helpfully embedded in my negatives for me.  That's when I realized
that if I were going to do this very often, I'd lose my remaining sliver of
sanity very quickly  if I didn't adopt an all-digital workflow.

Just to bring this around so it's loosely on topic...  Now, I'm interested
in playing around with an R lens.  My Leica experience to date has been
confined to the M side.  I understand I need an adapter to go from R to EOS.
How does using one work in practice?  I'm assuming I need to open it up for
focusing, and then manually stop it down for metering and actual exposure?
Is this more complicated sounding than it actually is?  Can I use any kind
of R lens?  I know there are different "cam" versions.  Thanks for any
pointers!

--
Eric
http://canid.com/