Subject: [Leica] digital ramblings
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Apr 2 05:45:52 2006

Steve:

>Regarding focussing itself, I've found personally that the longer the lens,
>the easier it is to focus. The viewfinders can be small and not very bright.
>Because of this I bought a Brightscreen - wwwbrightscreen.com - for my 5D.
>The 5D has user replaceable screens and this was a two minute job to insert.
>The Brightscreen has a traditional split rangefinder and a microprism
>collar. In retrospect I think I would have been better with the version that
>just had a microprism collar, but that's just my personal opinion. I have
>also read that the R8/9 screens fit, but can't confirm that.

I bought the Canon Ee-S Super Precision screen:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=402221&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

:: the Ee-S Super Precision focusing screen is designed to facilitate
:: manual focusing with high-speed lenses (f/2.8 or faster). The Ee-S
:: screen has finer microlenses than the Ee-A or Ee-D options, along with
:: a steeper parabola of focus to make the image pop in and out of focus
:: more vividly in the viewfinder; however, the Ee-S focusing screen is
:: not recommended for slower lenses because it is not very
:: bright.

Performs just as advertised.  My slowest lens is a 135/2, so I don't know
how much darker it gets with slower lenses.  Focus snaps fairly quickly with
the 35/1.4, and that's why I really bought it.  I wanted to be able to focus
wide angles more accurately.  I wanted it to be more M-like.  :)  I did not
have trouble manually focusing at all with this screen...even in very dim
light.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/