Subject: [Leica] Re: DSLR confusion
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Apr 4 17:32:09 2006

At 04:37 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
>  Case in point: When I want to take a close up portrait in film, I
> focus on the eyes, open the lens wide to blur the background, set
> the shutter speed higher to compensate for the wide lens opening,
> compose, then click away. It's almost instinctive. With the
> digital, I must first recognize that the shot will be a portrait,
> then select the portrait mode. I have no idea what part of the face
> the lens is focused on or what the background will look like. I
> just have to trust that the electronic elves inside the camera will get it
> righ

Sorry, Larry.  I had no idea.  There is no such silliness with the
Canons  They operate just like film SLR cameras.  I usually shoot
wide open and focus on the eyes for everything.  There are modes on
the camera like P and A and T and M, but they just mean Program, and
Aperture and Time (shutter speed) and Manual - just like with
film.  I've only seen modes like portrait, mountain, flower, etc. on
the point and shoot digitals.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com