Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: C.R.Marshall at uwsp.edu (Marshall, C.R.)
Date: Wed Apr 5 15:05:22 2006

A.Why do I Photograph?

For me it is just a hobby. It is technical and fidgety while being
abstractly artistic. It provides gifts for friends and family that are
cheap (from a marginal cost perspective) for me to create and valued
highly by them. About a third of the faculty members in my department
have photos that I have taken hanging in their homes.

B. What's my primary subject matter?

My wife is an avid gardener. I shoot a lot of flower photos.

I like the interesting and occasionally humorous juxtapositions of
street photography. I live in a small town in Wisconsin that provides
limited street opportunities.

I like seagulls and pidgins but don't do telephoto nature photography.

Beyond that it is whatever catches my eye.

C. Why?

The flower shots and gifts for friends justify equipment purchases, even
when the equipment is unrelated. I enjoy them and they make my wife
happy.

The rest of it is for my own entertainment.

I would say that it is so that others can see what caught my eye but I
haven't updated my webpage for months.

CR Marshall