Subject: [Leica] Leica sighting, or how I tripped on a rude person....
From: leica at cinemaminima.com (Austin Burbridge)
Date: Tue Apr 11 00:23:42 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 20:38, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:
> I have noticed in the past that bumping into Leica using persons on
> the street is, more often than not, not an invitation for
> conversation.

Nothing makes me squirm like someone remarking my Leica in a public
place.

I do not wish to advertise that I am carrying a camera+lens which
costs more than my car (I admit, it is an old car). I had to save up
for years to buy my Leica rig, and I could not replace it in the
event of theft or loss.  Most people just think I'm carrying an old,
too-small-to-be-professional camera, not one of the big sexy SLRs.
Maybe a thief will pass me by for one of those obviously expensive
big hunks of plastic and glass. (And maybe I've never gotten over the
theft of my first Leica. A good tool is an extension of the body;
losing my Leica would be like an amputation.)

Also, I am one of those who put a strip of black tape over the red
dot. When I am on the street, trying to forget about the tools, to
contemplate the moment and the spectacle, I really don't want to
encourage discussion about the equipment. I want the picture -- and
the people around me -- to be about what *they are doing*, and not
about what *I* am doing.

When I see somebody else with a Leica, the most I might do is to ask
for a URL to see the work. But mostly, I try to give the photographer
the same consideration which I would like given me -- which is to
ignore him, respectfully.

Having said that, someone who is trying to make a friendly remark
should be treated with tact and courtesy.

Regards,

A U S T I N ,

Austin Burbridge,

Expose for Shadows/Develop for Highlights
<http://cinemaminima.com/leica>

Sprezzatura <http://sprezzatura.editthispage.com/>

Cinema Minima <http://www.cinemaminima.com/>

Replies: Reply from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] Leica sighting, or how I tripped on a rude person....)