Subject: [Leica] Re: Small cars
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Apr 27 16:29:42 2006

At 06:00 PM 4/27/06 -0400, Ric Carter wrote:

>> Exxon Mobil Corp., the world's largest oil company, raised Chief
>> Executive Rex Tillerson's pay by 33% last year to $13 million as
>> record energy prices boosted the company's profit to the highest in
>> U.S. history.
>
>That's $25 a minute, sitting-standing, sleeping-waking, taking a
>dump, diddling himself, or screwing me at the pump.
>
>That's excess, plain and simple!

What is your standard?  Why do you say this is in excess?  In excess of
what?  Tell me, what value would you place on Einstein or Verdi or Dante?
What value would you place on Capa?  I am not asking about what cheap price
they were willig to accept:  I am asking how you would value them.

Value is an odd thing and has a multivariate standard.  Perhaps you should
recall McKeowen's Law, as it applies here as it does everywhere else.  In
the end, there are no "excess" payments.  There are simply payments that
the market will either accept or it will not and if it will not, well,
then, either the exec goes or the company tanks.  In any event, it is of
not concern to me or thee nor is it anything we ought to do anything to
control, unless you are a Second Internationalist, an interesting thought.

Governmetn control almost always leads to failure.  You are probably of a
juvenile age and do not know about the US government's efforts under the
Carter Administration to control the gas crises which led to such a diaster
that Ronnie the Ray-Gun was elected overwhelmingly in 1980, albeit Carter's
experience with that "Keeler Boonie" didn't help his reputation for being
a cool dude.  (To my knowledge, Carter remains the only US President to
ever flee from a rabbit, and his announcement that he was suffering from
piles did not aid his reputation for gravitas, as the media call it.  Oy
Vey!  I miss those days:  replay those Carter tapes and then view the Bush
43 tapes and see just who looks better.  I am not a fan of Bush but thank
God this nation is spared from the like of Carter.  Many a pundit pointed
out that Gore's problem in 2000 was that he was too much like Carter and
that the US political memory apparently ran for at least a two decade span
....)

In any event, the market will pay what the market will pay, and so be it.
The US government ought to be concentrated on increasing domestic
production of oil, reducing the demand for oil, increasing nuclear power
research and fission-pile plant production, encouraging the building of
more processing plants, and the like, as I have previously suggested.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao) ([Leica] Re: Small cars)