Subject: [Leica] GT40
From: roy at detroitphotographic.com (Roy Feldman)
Date: Sun Apr 30 05:01:19 2006

"All GT40's have the steering on the right" is simply not true. I
worked at Ford and was the chief photographer in charge of the Ford
GT. I can tell you I drove at 3 GT40's with the steering on the left,
we used these to photograph initial press kits and photoshopped the
new skin on them.
Mr. Ford started the program because he couldn't buy Ferrari, if you
believe he was going to make a car he couldn't drive around
Dearborn....
With the first reborn GT we wanted to name it GT40, but we (Ford) had
more or less given the name away to a small manufacturer after the
original program was done, they wanted several million to buy it back,
hence the name Ford GT.
The new current prototypes all had GT40 painted on them and after
loosing the name battle, I had to photoshop "Ford GT" on about 40
pictures in time for that years introduction at the Detroit Auto Show,
requiring me to work all day on christmas that year (any idea what 4x
time pays at Ford..?...I made more in a month than I had all year).
Also, in order to meet today's street driving requirements it was
necessary to raise the bumper thus making it taller than 40 inches,
the current one is a GT 43.
Roy Feldman

Replies: Reply from lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC) ([Leica] GT40)
Reply from raimo.m.korhonen at uusikaupunki.fi (Raimo K) ([Leica] GT40)