Subject: [Leica] A close call to be sure
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Apr 30 14:49:28 2006

This morning, I got up from the computer and went to church at about
11:00am. I left the computer on as well as my printer and Nikon film scanner
(I usually don't do that, but I was running late). When I arrived back home,
my mother in law told me that there was no electricity. I went to the
circuit breaker box, and about half of the circuit breakers had been
tripped! That made me a bit sick. The entire neighborhood was without power,
and there had obviously been a huge surge before the power went down. I paid
big bucks to have a surge supressor installed for the ENTIRE HOUSE. It is
installed on the circuit breaker box.

Entergy (the power company) came out and rewired some of the power lines.
Everything came up except my office. The circuit breaker would not engage. I
unplugged everything in my office, and the circuit breaker did engage. I
slowly started plugging things back in, but when I tried to plug in the
cable going to all of my computer-connected stuff, it tripped the breaker
again. I examined the surge suppressor strips, and every one of the three
was cooked! With black sooty stuff on them, and smelling like an electrical
fire. I made a mad dash for the hardware store for more suppressor strips,
and slowly started plugging things back in. Ahhhhhh...........everything
seems to be okay.

But I have little faith in surge suppressors now. The one protecting the
house didn't seem to work. The one attached directly to the outlets on the
wall didn't seem to work. The cheapest ones, the $10 surge suppressor strips
that my computer, printers, scanners, hard drives, etc. are plugged into
burned up. I guess that means they DID work. Leaves me with a bit of a sick
feeling inside. The more expensive they were, the crappier they worked.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] A close call to be sure)