Subject: [Leica] B&W analog-digital workflow
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun May 14 12:26:16 2006

I keep pondering this scanning thing and frankly I'm not sure that
doing anything more than just getting the bits into the computer
matters a great deal - VueScan or Nikon or SilverFast - they get the
basics into the computer.

IF these programs could dynamically change the way the image is
scanned so some segments could be sampled more or it would be possible
to change the sensitivity of the sensors in some way, then I'd think
the software mattered. But that doesn't happen.

So why use the scanner software at all and just do it in a tool
designed for pixel manipulation: Photoshop?

Yes, you can adjust the input curves in your scanning software, but
that's no different than adjusting the curves in Photoshop.

So lots of time spent scanning seems wasted - get the pixels in and
then deal with them in Photoshop.

I'm totally willing to be convinced this is wrong-thinking but you're
going to have to demonstrate why this is the case.

Adam

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Scanning software)