Subject: [Leica] Suggestions for after LHSA meeting
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri May 19 21:19:06 2006

Hi Don (and others who have spare time):

I will give you a few options for spending a few extra days in early
October in that area:

1) Go down to Bonn and Koblenz and then take a drive south along the
Mosel river. Koblenz is one of my favorite towns in Germany. It is
located where the Mosel and Rhine rivers meet and is very pictoresque in
itself. As you follow the Mosel, you pass through a wine-making area
which produces some of world's best Riesling and sweet wines and has
some very beautiful towns such as Bernkastel. October is harvest month,
so there will be a lot of activity and perhaps even various harvest
festivals (although I am not sure if they do them in Germany). You can
also take in the city of Trier, which, like Koblenz, dates back to Roman
times. All this of course requires a car.

The above makes most sense if the weather is good. We are talking early
October in northern Europe, which means that the weather can range from
wind and rain and 5C to a burst of Indian summer. If the weather is bad,
then a big-city trip is better, since there will be things to do indoors
(museums, shopping, exhibitions etc.). From Cologne you can easily get to:

2) Berlin (about 4 1/2 hours by train). This has become a truly amazing
city since reunification. Old buildings have been restored and enhanced,
like the Reichstag, and some of the world's must stunning buildings have
sprung up all over the place, particularly in what used to be no man's
land. The cultural life of Berlin is also incredibly vibrant, and
regardless of whether you and your wife like modern art, punk rock,
traditional art or whatever, you will find it in Berlin.

3) Paris obviously needs no introduction, and you can get there by
high-speed train from Cologne in under 4 hours.

4) If the weather is truly horrible, you can also escape down to the sun
for a few days. Air Berlin is one of Europe's largest low-cost airlines,
and they will fly you from Frankfurt to, say, Malaga, for under 300 EUR.
Have a look at www.airberlin.com.

Hope this gives you some possibilities to consider.

Nathan