Subject: [Leica] Senegal
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Mon Jun 5 14:10:23 2006

> I enjoyed the scenes from smoking and preserving the fish, Philippe.
> I'd like to hear more about it if you remember any details.

The men fish sardines, and the women 'smoke' them: they put the
sardines circlewise on the beach, cover them with rubbish (paper,
plastic etc: the city is full of it) and set fire to it. After a
while, when the rubbish doesn't burn anymore, they 'clean' the fish
(peel off the skin) and cover it with self produced salt. These with
salt covered 'smoked' fish are put on rosters in the sun to dry,
after which they are ready to be consumed/sold.
It says a lot about poverty if people have to survive this way.
An anecdote: these people received material to build real ovens from
a charity organisation. It only turned out that the bricks delivered
didn't withstand the smoking temperatures. So these ovens stand there
without any use.
I suspect there are a lot of comparable bad thought through
initiatives in Africa, hence a lot of badly spent money through the
drain.
That is why the organisation I went with doesn't work directly in
Senegal, but through local organisations managed by local people.
This is the only way things work.

> This shot ... it's the little things ...
>
> http://www.fullflavor.be/photography/senegal/slides/A_DSC0911.html
>
> People drinking Coca Cola ... people who probably never drink it
> otherwise.
>
> Tells you something about the water supply and quality :-(

Visitors from the West are terrorized/thoroughly informed about
infected water and food, true. So nobody takes the risk of drinking
of a bottle/can that hasn't been opened in front of them.
But I wondered: the bottles and cans were cooled in large barrels
filled with tap water and ice made of tap water. So even if you open
the can yourself: there's always some tapwater you'll get in when
drinking.
Hence contamination risk. A diminished one, true. But nevertheless a
risk.

I think it's all about common sense, no? If you're bound to be
infected, you will be anyway...