Subject: [Leica] Re: 90mm's
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Jun 6 19:47:11 2006

B.D.
We are not talking about getting the best out of a lens.  Every lens has a
flavor, some are just stronger than others.  Yes, I primarily use the 90
F2.8 if I don't know what will present itself.  But if I know that I will be
doing a mans portrait and I want something dramatic then the Russian 85 gets
used.  If I know that I will be shooting a person who is a little self
conscious about lines, age marks, or wrinkles then the 90 F4 comes out.  If
I am going to a jazz club and I know the 75 will not be long enough I will
bring the 85 or 90 F2 for reach and speed.  Why carry the weight when I will
be out in good light?

As to collecting, these puppies are too beat up to be collectible.  Besides,
for the most part they cost less than $100 each so not a major expense.  The
point is that these are tools, when you are turning a bowl you don't use a
skew for everything nor do you use a large gouge for everything.  Avedon
didn't use a 8X10 for all his work.  Ted didn't use an M for sports at the
Olympics when he was 100 yards from the action.

Many on this list are looking at lenses from the PJ point of view or street
photography.  For those applications being in the correct place with a good
eye and film in your gate or available electrons to push is what is
important.  There are other applications for photography that work better if
you understand what you want the image to look like before you use PS to
play.

By the way, about time that someone got off the government feedback and
spent their own money for stem cell work.  Good on Harvard, I hope they get
a lot of valuable patents for genuinely useful procedures.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com