Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Tue Jun 6 20:06:37 2006

it seems to me that this system can't be all that ambitious; the
leica document and "6-bit" name imply only 64 codes can be uniquely
identified.  i'd guess this would mean the 7 focal lengths plus
tri-elmar plus macro adapter, times the number of maximum apertures.
this leaves not much address space to identify such subtleties as
1st generation 90 summicron, 2nd generation, 3rd gen, etc.   i'd guess
we could expect focal length and max aperture.  maybe "asph" designation.
it would not be able to record aperture used to make the photo for
tagging in EXIF.

-rei