Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Jun 7 02:51:59 2006

What Pen f lenses? Let me get this straight: the rational for a 5K digital
M, day before yesterday, was that it would use the closets full of M and
LTM lenses everyone's been acquiring, and produce images that will blow
away those prodced with Japanese junk, right? But now it turns out that
there will be image quality issues at the edges, even though there's
already a 1.3 image crop. But that's okay, because Leica will use software
to fix that in the camera. But, in order to have that work, you're going to
have to pay between $100 and 125 per lens to have what amounts to a sticker
put on the mount? (AmI following this so far?) But now it turns out that
other than the new ASPH lenses, which many people haven't invested in
because there are so many great, older, far less expensive lenses
available, there are only a tiny handful of lenses, all manufactured in the
last 12 years, that can be retrofit. And your reaction is to make a joke
about a far, far less expensive camera that produces terrific images and
say ' that's okay, we can fix the images in Photoshop?'
This, to me, is the ultimate example of the Emperor's New Clothes: if
there's a Red Dot somewhere in the room, everything's okay.
God, if only I had the time and inclination to go through the archives and
pull up all the anti-digital diatribes in which people trashed just this
sort of digital fix, and other uses of PS, because it was creating
information where there was none, and ...
What a hoot.
Finally, no, of course I haven't used a Digital M. I am sikply reacting to
what LEICA has just told us about it, and what Don has written.