Subject: [Leica] Re: Soccer photos
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Jun 13 08:45:37 2006

When I was growing up, I was too short for basketball and too light for
football so I played soccer. At the time it was just a funny game of
kickball played by guys who talked with strong accents. My kids started
playing when they were six years old and kept it up through college. I
coached kid's soccer for about 15 years, starting with the junior
division and ending with the under 17 team that won the NY State
championship.

Indeed, soccer is a very difficult sport to photograph. The action
moves quickly from side to side of the field and focusing is difficult.
With trained teams you can see a play develop and predict where the
critical action will take place but with the free form chaos of kid's
soccer, it is largely a matter of luck. If you have a chance, shoot
from the area behind and to the side of the goal. Here the action is
generally moving toward you and the dramatic plays often occur near the
edges of the box. I used to load my M3 with fast film, prefocus my 135
mm lens on the area about halfway between the box edge and the goal,
about at the penalty spot, stop down, use a fast shutter speed and hope
for the best. Click the shutter just before the striker kicks the ball
ball. If your reflexes are like mine, the ball will have just left his
foot and the keeper will just be starting his dive as the picture is
taken. Often I used an Olympus OM2 with a motor drive and a 200 mm
lens. This let me stand near the corner of the field and catch a bit
more action. I also burned a lot more film.

I would have killed for a modern digital SLR with follow focus and
sequence capability.

Larry Z