Subject: [Leica] New M mount Sonnar 1.5 50mm
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Jun 15 17:46:06 2006

At 08:26 PM 6/15/06 -0400, Don Dory wrote:
>Hoppy,
>It has significant vignetting, isn't especially good wide open and has an
>unknown price point.  Instead, pick up a Zeiss Opton Sonnar in LTM at around
>$350 U.S.  There are quite a few of these out there and you will be getting
>the genuine thing(genuine in terms of the original design.  I have no doubt
>that the new design will be a better lens).  I suspect that a 1.8 Canon
>Serenar(LTM) will perform as well and be much cheaper.
>
>I really don't mean to rain on the parade as I do own and use quite a few
>"inferior" lenses but use them when the flaws are to my advantage.  Going in
>eyes wide open and it will be a good choice as you will know what to expect.

Don

I am aware of a single Zeiss-Opton 1.5/50 Sonnar in LTM, a modification
made by the Leitz mechanics for a senior Leitz official int he late 1940's.
 I have never heard even a whisper of a second such lens existing.

I do know of the existence of dozens if not hundreds of 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar
T's in LTM, one of which I currentlyown and I have owned a couple of others
over the years.  These were made during the War for sale in neutral lands,
especially Sweden, as Lieitz was not allowed to regularly produce camera
lenses at this time, so that Leitz camera bodies were sold in Sweden along
with these Zeiss lenses.

I have a bunch of these lenses.  The Wartime 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar T in LTM is
the best of the lot though the 2/5cm CZJ Sonnar T which appears on the
front cover of my book is also a wonderful lens in use.  I use both of
these frequently on my M6, along with my 1.5/7.5cm CZJ Biotar T.   Grand
lenses on a grand camera.  On occasion, I use them on my IIIc.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] New M mount Sonnar 1.5 50mm)