Subject: [Leica] AOS 5D full 35mm breakthrough
From: Grduprey at aol.com (Grduprey@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 20:46:43 2006

In a message dated 6/15/2006 2:32:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com writes:
Rangefinder WA lenses are made to a design that is unsuited to
digital sensors. Even if the Canon sensor was used it would give
disappointing results with these lenses. I enjoy my 1.5 crop RD1 but
the sensor issues, whilst quasi correctable by software, are
blindingly obvious from some of the lenses even on this smaller
sensor. I wait with interest to see how much worse it is on the 1.33
sensor.
Reading between the lines I have gained the firm impression that
there is going to be a digital M because of customer demand/pressure
NOT because Leica thing it is a technically sound thing to do. I am
sure they will make their best efforts to make it as good as they
can, given the technical limitations. Lenses designed for reflex
cameras are considerably more suited to digital sensors - sadly.
Frank

Bob,

Frank is correct, Leica is doing this due to pressure from the users, not
because they have admitted that the RD-1 shows it can be done, as it
certainly
does not.  Even Zeiss when asked if they would produce a Digital
Rangefinder,
said they would not until it was technically feasable.  The 5D Canon is a
completely different animal.  You can rant on this issue all you want, but
it is not
going to change reality.  We will just have to wait for the full frame M
until it can be done, and unless there is some miracle breakthrough in
technology
it is some years off.  Personally, I'll take the digi M as soon as I can
find
the funds.

gene