Subject: [Leica] Re:Digital M vs RD-1
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Jun 16 08:31:26 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 8:55 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:
> Of course the far more important question is whether it will
> outperform the full-frame Canon 5D

B.D. - Taking the comparison of the RD1 and DigiM to a comparison
with a DSLR really moves away from the point - which remains - a
serious digital RF comparison. When you were shooting film, I believe
that you preferred the M for all that it offered to etch your vision
on to that film, even while many, much less expensive, SLR and other
RF, systems would have done just as well. You chose Leica for all
sorts of reasons which we all appreciate.

I'm using a 20D and 5D with R glass and occasionally, when
appropriate, with C glass. However, I continue to feel the desire to
work with RF's and salivate for day when I can add one to my digital
work flow. At this moment the only viable choices for a serious
digital RF rest with the RD1 and supposedly, soon, a digital M.
Period (unless I've missed an announcement).

The "far more important question" is whether it will perform "as well
as" not "outperform" the current crop of serious equipment.
The DMR would suggest that the digiM will do that. Will it do that
for the same price point as Olympus or Canon? Never did before.
Olympus has always provided a remarkable value; always fine quality
at a price below the competition. But when you shot film you used
Leica, not Olympus. The price point will be what ever it will be.
Those who can afford it will. Those who can't won't. It was true when
you chose Leica to make your images. It's true when folks choose
'blad, Linhof, BMW, Viking, Lotus, Alpa, whatever. Do I wish that I
could afford a truly fine car? Sure. Does my '93 Saturn do all I need
it to do? Yes. Is my 5D a serious RF? No. Do I want a serious digital
RF? Yes.

Having played with an R9DMR for 15 minutes - I can assure you that,
if and when the digiM, appears. it will feel wonderful in your hands,
possess a simplicity which the majority of digicams don't, and
produce extremely fine images. I say this because that's what Leica
has always done (with the exception of the R-3 - don't get me started
on that error). Even the Digilux1 did what it did with elegance (I
miss the little thing). And when I expressed my delight in working
with it's (at the time) huge screen, similar to working with medium
or large format ground glass; you put me, and others looking at their
screens, down. Now that you have found the benefits of doing the same
thing with the 330 - it's the greatest thing since the bayonet lens
mount.

Relax. Enjoy the range of options and price points ;-)

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re:Digital M vs RD-1)