Subject: [Leica] Well, I am just on a roll here.....
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon Jun 19 04:08:33 2006

Do not store Xtol diluted.  Don't even think about it.  As Mike D has
pointed out, as the sulfite concentration drops there is nothing to
prevent oxidation.  Xtol oxidises readily enough at full-strength.

>Start with distilled water or water from Portland Oregon especially Mark
Rabinor's sink.
Portland does have exceptional quality tapwater (and follow to the water
quality reports):
http://www.portlandonline.com/water/index.cfm?c=cjhfb#soft but wherever
Mark's moving to, if he uses Xtol, he may well experience the same kinds
of problems others have.  I can't find a page that I can read that might
indicate what Daniel's water is like, but Scandanavia has plentiful
snowmelt and predominantly clean catchments.  It does not surprise me
that his water is Xtol-safe.  Unfiltered tapwater from Adelaide, South
Australia, kills Xtol dead.  Instantly. If it's not adequately treated I
don't even get an image.  Really.

Metals generally, but divalent cations (those ones with a 2+ for those
who can remember their high school chemistry) particularly, appear to
make Xtol's activity reliably disappear.  In between 'fine' and 'failure'
there are a range of semi 'failures' and weird artefacts.  The main
formula in the patent: http://tinyurl.com/mf7to contains pentasodium
EDTA, a chelating agent that sequesters these compounds from being
available in solution.  The spot syndrome Brian experienced seems to be
linked to copper, strontium and some other less common ions in water.
Interestingly, Brian told me that his Xtol worked if he mixed it with
distilled water but then diluted the stock with tapwater.  Dilution
obviously works sometimes.  Other ions do other curious things and some
others also induce 'failure'.

There's a useful info page on Xtol here:
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

And if you're still scared, there are several excellent alternatives that
work similarly.  LuGers with experience abound.  Mike Durling uses PC-TEA
to good effect and John Black's JB9 is the closest thing you can have to
Xtol without it really being Xtol, but also has the advantage of
excellent oxidation resistance (it is a three-part solution that you mix
immediately prior to use) and therefore can be stored for a long time.
The difference between Xtol and PC-TEA (and most developer formulae, for
that fact) is that the pH is higher in PC-TEA.  That's why the patent
says 'weakly alkaline'.  This influences grain, probably.

I tend to agree with Daniel's 'buy Xtol and use it all up fast' theory.
Reasonably careful mixing, proper storage and small bottles should keep
you safe.  If you're really picky, seal the bottles with food wrap after
excluding all the air with canned antioxidant.  If all that's too much
fuss, use something else.

Fomadon Excel is the same as Xtol and is still available in 1L packets
(it seems the Czechs don't pay too much attention to US Patents - recent
EU membership may change that).  The Czech packets seem to work very
well.

Oh, John Black also devised a quick, reliable, tremendously ingenious
activity test.  I'm sure he'll be happy to share if anyone's
interested; but please don't publish it, I still think he should do that
himself.